Pages

16 August 2011

I'm on record as listing this as my favorite book

Hunger (Penguin Twentieth-Century Classics)Hunger by Knut Hamsun

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


One of the most amazing books I've ever read. In short, it is the psychological portrait of a young man who would sacrifice everything for the sake of his art. It's hard to believe this book was written in the 19th century--it feels so contemporary. Indeed, many later writers have acknowledged Hamsun as a major influence on their own work.

More than any artist I know, Hamsun epitomizes the fact that you can have messed up political ideas (he was a Nazi sympathizer), but still be a world-class artist and writer--demonstrating that the two endeavors, politics and art, are not necessarily connected--which may, in fact, be a shock to many cultural Marxists ("Politics decides everything." -Mao). Hunger is, in my opinion, his undisputed masterpiece.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment